Last Updated: March 2021
Obtaining life insurance after heart stent surgery can seem daunting but it does not have to be.
High risk life insurance may be challenging at times but reputable agencies such as Rootfin have worked cases like these hundreds of times.
If you have had a partial blockage in any of your arteries and had to have surgery to enable stents to be put in place, you will know that this is actually a very routine procedure.
In this article, we will explain how to obtain life insurance after stent surgery, what underwriters will need to know, and more:
- Can You Get Life Insurance After Heart Stent Surgery?
- Underwriting: What Life Insurance Companies Will Ask After Stent Surgery
- Consider Graded Death Benefit Policies After Stent Surgery
- How Much Life Insurance Coverage Do You Need?
- How to Apply for Life Insurance After Heart Stent Surgery
Can You Get Life Insurance After Heart Stent Surgery?
Yes! Fortunately with the technology available today, stent surgery is a safe and effective method of actively prolonging a person’s life and helping to reduce the risk of further heart issues.
All life insurance companies are aware of these facts and will usually offer some form of life insurance coverage.
If you have been refused life insurance coverage, however, because of stent surgery you have probably just looked at the wrong company.
When it comes to life insurance coverage for people with a heart condition, such as stents in place, this is how the life insurance company assesses you.
- For anyone who has had one stent, but has had no complications arising from the surgery, and who has no other underlying health problems, this person may then qualify for Standard rates if enough time has passed.
- The more time that has passed with consistent follow-ups, the better.
- For anyone who has had more than one stent and who has possibly also suffered a heart attack, then they will qualify for less favorable rates. These are known as substandard rates which in our industry we call “table ratings“.
It will ultimately depend on the individual life insurance company and its policies.
Some life insurance companies may also actually refuse to offer coverage whilst others will start with what is known as a base table rating, but will then ask detailed questions to decide the final rating.
Waiting 6 Months to Apply for Life Insurance After Stent Surgery
Although adequate life insurance coverage can be arranged, there are some factors that need to be taken into account prior to looking for life insurance coverage when you have had stent surgery.
All life insurance companies will insist that you wait six months before applying for life insurance coverage; this is because if there are going to be any complications arising from the surgery, these will happen within the first six months following the surgery.
Their policy is always to give time for the surgery to settle and the body to heal and therefore they will not process any application before this time limit is up.
Underwriting: What Life Insurance Companies Will Ask After Stent Surgery
Here are some questions underwriters are likely to ask if you have had surgery and have stents in place:
- How many stents have you had placed?
- Was there anything that triggered the need for stents, such as a heart attack or stroke?
- Currently, what is your ejection fraction?
- What is the date the stents were put in?
- What medications have you been prescribed?
- What was the result of your last stress test and what was the date of the test?
- Have you made any beneficial changes to your lifestyle since the surgery, such as quitting smoking or embarking on an exercise plan or fitness regime?
- Have you had any chest pains since the surgery?
If you don’t know all the answers to these questions, we can still give you a rough estimate of your rates. Just know that they may not be totally accurate. With that said, without the answers to these questions regarding your stent surgery, a life insurance agent can’t accurately assess your specific risk. So be on your guard, if you are not asked these questions by another life insurance agent, they’re not tailoring you a quote to fully suit your needs.
If you have suffered from any chest pains since the stent surgery, all insurance companies will automatically decline your application.
If your stent surgery was more than five years ago with no complications or follow treatment needed, you may be able to obtain life insurance coverage with no medical exam.
The best way to look for adequate and affordable life insurance coverage for anyone with these types of health problems, such as someone needing life insurance as a diabetic, is to find an independent advisor who understands the ins and outs of each life insurance carrier.
If you have been refused life insurance coverage in the past but don’t understand why, it could simply be a case of choosing the wrong company. We consistently turn declines into in-force life insurance coverage because we’re experts at working with higher risks and take the time to shop the market.
If you still have some heart-related problems, or, indeed any significant health problems, contact us and we will consult with all of our life insurance providers and ensure we get you the best deal possible.
Consider Graded Death Benefit Policies After Stent Surgery
We also have graded death benefit policies available at very competitive rates that ensure many of our clients have some form of life insurance coverage in place.
These plans have more lenient medical underwriting, which allows more applicants to get approved for coverage.
They have a two-year waiting period that starts as soon as you sign the papers for the insurance plan.
If you were to pass away within the first two years of the policy, your family will not receive the payout from the plan. Instead, they will get a return of the premiums that you paid until that point.
This is one way that the insurance company can offset the risk of your surgery.
After two years, your plan will operate as a traditional insurance plan.
How Much Life Insurance Coverage Do You Need?
Before you apply for any life insurance, it’s important that you decide how much coverage your family will need if something tragic were to happen to you.
There are several factors that you’ll need to consider when you’re determining how much insurance coverage your family will need. Not having enough life insurance is one of the worst mistakes that you could make for your loved ones.
- The first things you need to analyze are your bills and any debts that you currently have. If something were to happen to you, all of those expenses are going to go to your family.
- Make sure that your life insurance plan is large enough to pay off your mortgage, student debts, and everything else.
- The next thing to consider is your annual income. If something tragic were to happen to you, your family wouldn’t have your paycheck, which means that they would struggle to pay for any basic expenses.
- If you’re one of the main sources of income in your house, then your life insurance plan should be large enough to replace your paycheck.
If you have had a stent procedure and are looking for adequate and suitable life insurance coverage, speak to us about your risk.
Make sure that you answer all questions as truthfully and honestly as you can, as to ensure you get not only the right level of coverage but also the best available rate the agent providing the quote will need the true facts.
How to Apply for Life Insurance After Heart Stent Surgery
Obtaining life insurance after having heart stent surgery does not need to be overly complicated.
Here at Rootfin, our aim is to provide a thorough and comprehensive service for our prospective clients and we try to build a relationship with each and every one of you based on trust and a full understanding of their individual needs.
Our life insurance agents are comprised of very experienced advisors who will discuss your needs and assess the correct level of life insurance coverage you require, taking into account the stents and tailored to suit your personal lifestyle.
We are confident that we will be able to find all of our client’s suitable life insurance coverage which will be specifically tailored to their needs and will provide the highest level of coverage available at the most affordable price.
Our agents have years of experience helping high-risk applicants get the insurance coverage that they will need which certainly includes applicants that have recently had heart stent surgery.
Even if you’ve been declined for life insurance coverage in the past, don’t assume that you can’t get insurance coverage. Regardless of your health or any pre-existing conditions, there are several quality options available to you.
Don’t wait any longer to get life insurance coverage, contact one of our agents today and we would be happy to get the process started.
Also, be sure to check out our other guides below to learn more about how different types of heart conditions can affect life insurance approval and rates: